Sunday 25 January 2009

I'm an addict..

Well it seems Jonathan Ross' return to the airwaves on both television and radio this weekend didn't cause the universe to end in a super massive explosion of cheeky banter so we can now look forward very shortly to thee return of Lost

Sadly enough this is going to be the highlight of my weekend (I'm a very exciting individual but sadly this weekend Saturday was a day of work - well that's me defense anyway)

Lost is currently like an addictive substance to me, I actually need to see what happens, I need to find out what is going on. This sad state of affairs made me think if there were any other TV shows were I developed this need.

Buffy comes close, I did watch week in, week out without fail whilst it was on but I never truly lived in true anticipation of what would happen next or sit around stretching the far reaches of my brain trying to think of theories as to what was going on.

The Wire is probably the closest contender but it's altogether more stately pace doesn't quite engender that same sense of breathless panic that Lost sometimes does when it decides there's been quite enough explanations for now and it's time to throw out a few more curveballs.

Stablemate Alias did occasionally make me desperate to see the next installment, largely due to it's ridiculous nature. More happens in the pre-credit sequence in an Alias episode than happens in a whole episode of Lost more often than not. This stupidly accelerated pace combined with twist upon revelation upon bluff upon betrayal upon twist did give Alias a strange sort of compulsive nature. Like the TV equivalent of the Pringles sickness, where you know you should stop eating them because there are garbage that will make you sick but.. you... just... can't.

24 has never grabbed me (though at some point I intend to retry it), The X Files became to convoluted for me to care, Scrubs bizarrely sometimes almost gets there, Battlestar Galactica just doesn't quite manage it (I think this is because I get the sense that although top quality it doesn't really have any more surprises up it's sleeve) and well Neighbours on it's heyday was on everyday anyway so you never had time to ponder upon it.

So that's the truth, I have a problem, I'm a Lost addict and tomorrow I swear I'm going to go to my first LAA meeting!

1 comment:

Chemie said...

Lost is back? I really couldn't care less. I'm sick of the twistiness. What is left to reveal? The Island is special, and the specialness brings special people to it. The End. How did Locke die? Something clever and twisty I imagine. Who is Jake? Something clever and twisty. How did the island move? Something clever and twisty did it. The only interesting question is: Why don't these idiots bloody talk to each other and save everybody the deaths/flashbacks/ sweaty runs through the jungle? I'd have held the conch shell, made the island my bitch and escaped to soothing beers in a British pub in under 3 months. Because I would have actually TALKED to people.

The Wire however, is high quality addiction. Driven not by endless twistiness but by plot, character development and a dramatic style that's enjoyable rather than frustrating. I also like Alias for it's honesty and sense of fun but it never made me desperate for the next episode.