Wednesday 2 September 2009

Inglorious Basterds

QT is back to form..for the most part. Fistly this is easily his best since Jackie Brown. Essentially a spagehetti western set in WWII (authentically everyone speaks the right language, no RSC Nazi leaders here) it tells a tale of revenge and wrath, don't be fooled by the marketing the Basterds are not the main players here.

Starting with a scene of nail baiting tension the film follows QT usual habit of dividing things into chapters and this time we get two distinct lines of narrative that dovetail at the end of the film.

Now as mention the opening sequence is outstanding and there at least three sections equal to it but it has to be said the end of the film is something which will either spoil it for people or be seens as an outrageous piece of wish fullfillment. I have to say I feel that's it is the end that holds the film back from truely classic status, but I shall say no more. The very end however is a cheeky masterstorke.

The film is packed with strong, real feeling and memorable characters. Pitt's Lt Rane is a southern man on a mission and throws himself into things accordingly. Shosanna is the daughter out to avenge her family and is a role that recalls the driven strong women of both QT's previous films and those of the noir films of the '40s.

But most memorable is Waltz as Colonel Landa, a chilling and calculating man and I suspect a villian that will go down as one of the best created. He is the charming and deadly snake in the grass.

I admit I got more from the film as they referenced old school film movements, stars, producers and directors, I kept film studies geeking out, but even without this I highly recommend this.

It's very nearly I feel another stone cold classic from QT but just not quite, so catch this and keep your eyes peeled for Quentin's next one

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I kind of want to see it, kind of don't. I think you might have persuaded me to the former option.

Gooder said...

It's an audience divider but I loved it.