Sunday 7 March 2010

First Lines : The Return

It's the sequel to the game the was shamelessly ripped from the pages of other people's blogs and sites. Yes, it's guess the work from the opening lines, only it's films rather than songs. Simply name the film from the opening line or exchange.

We have 15 for people to name and in there we have unashamedly easy ones and. some unashamedly hard ones. A couple of quick tips, in the list there are three outright comedies, two scripts from one Quentin Tarantino, six films that can be classed as science-fiction/fantasy, the oldest film on the list is twenty seven years and the newest from last year.

I will be surprised if all of them are guessed but also outraged if the easier ones don't go!

So get guessing.....

1. "Hello, my name is Marty DiBergi. I'm a filmmaker. This Is Spinal Tap

2. "A philosopher once asked are we human because we gaze at the stars or do we gaze
at the stars because we are human? Pointless really." Stardust

3. "In Jailhouse Rock he was everything rockabilly is about. I mean he is
rockabilly. Mean, surly, nasty, rude" True Romance

4. "Are we spinning yet? All right, nice. Chelios, how we doing baby?" Crank

5. "Three of a kind, let's do this."
"That's it, three guys?"
"Two guys on the roof. Every guy gets a share" The Dark Knight

6. "I've finished my play."
"Well done."
"Have you seen mummy?"

7. "Lock onto him R2. Master, General Grievous' ship is directly ahead." Revenge Of The Sith

8. "Way out west there was this fella. Fella I want to tell ya about. Fella by the
name of Jeff Lebowski" The Big Lebowski

9. "Your breakfast sir."
"Pork bellies. I have a feeling something exciting is going to happen in the pork
belly market this morning" Trading Places

10. "A story. A man fires a rifle for many years and he goes to war. And afterward
he turns the rifle in at the armoury and he believes he's finished with the
rifle" Jarhead

11. "Go back inside and shut the door. Julie get me some water for my wash up and
then get inside with your sisters" Inglourious Basterds

12. "Earth, birthplace of the human race. A species much like our own, capable of
great compassion and great violence. For in our quest to protect the humans a
deeper revelation dawns." Transformers 2 :Revenge Of The Fallen

13. "Brendon?"
"Emily"
"Yeah. How's things?"
"Status quo" Brick

14. "USS Kelvin, go for starfleet base" Star Trek

15. "I go nothing sir. No sign of Niobe or Ghost Nothing but blue pills" Matrix Revolutions

13 comments:

SpaceSquid said...

Good idea!

1 - Spinal Tap.
7 - Revenge Of The Sith.
8 - The Big Lebowski.
14 - Star Trek.
15 - The Matrix: Revolutions ?

There are one or two more that I might have an outside shot at getting. I got me some thinkin' to do...

Dan Edmunds said...

I shall skip the ones Squid already has got

4. Crank
5. The Dark Knight
9. Trading Places
10. I think is Jarhead although not 100% sure on that one
12. Transformers

2 is annoying me because it seems familiar...

Gooder said...

I've marked the ones that are correct. Dan you're close but not quite right on your other answer. But I am impressed with the call on Dark Knight

But asuming you correct that, I think we're lef with the hard ones.

Tomsk said...

Oh no, all the easy ones have gone already!

SpaceSquid said...

Would it be too easy to suggest that it's Revenge of the Fallen, then?

SpaceSquid said...

Also, I'm going to take the plunge and suggest 3 as being True Romance.

SpaceSquid said...

13 is liable to be Brick, I think.

SpaceSquid said...

Oh, and lastly (probably); have you been sneaky and given us the first subtitle for 11? 'Cos I reckon the first line would be in French. Assuming, of course, that it is: Inglourious Basterds!

Gooder said...

The Squid's been busy. That's four more down.

Gooder said...

This is clearly too easy, I'll have to make it harder next time/ But can anyone get the remaining ones?

And yes the first line of Basterds is indeed spoken in French and you got the translation (do by Run Lola Run's Tom Tykwer no less).

Chemie said...

2.Stardust
6. Royal Tennanbaums

Gooder said...

So one remains....

Dan Edmunds said...

Grrr to Stardust and double grrr to Transformers 2 (should have realised that one).

So we are left with:

"I've finished my play."
"Well done."
"Have you seen mummy?"

I'll admit to having googled the answer to this and am happy that it is a film I have not seen so had no chance - I won't however spoil the game so the only clue you guys get is that it is a film I have not seen...