Sunday 26 June 2011

Akira

Ok, I admit I was half a bottle of wine, a bottle of cider and some whisky down and I was watching it in the early hours of the morning but I have to say I really don't see that much in Akira.

Yes some of the animation is quite nice but apart from that the film basically boils down to teenage boy gets super power, is an asshole. Destroys Tokyo. The end. And that's about it. Even the hero of the tale is only slightly less of an asshole than the kid that destroys the city, only the military authority figure, who I'm guessing we're supposed to not like, is worthy of any sympathy since he's just trying to keep as many people alive as possible.

In short the Internet may be throwing it's toys out of the pram regarding a muted Hollywood remake but honestly the existing version isn't exactly good to start with.

No comments: