Saturday 5 July 2008

Not All Superheroes Are Equally Impressive

SpaceSquid and isnoproblem are wandering home in the wee hours after a bender of such epic proportions the minstrels will sing of it centuries hence. There's no time for contemplating our debauched legacy, however, because isnoproblem chooses this moment to reveal his secret identity.

INP: I have a face that is invisible to bats.
SS: My God! It's you! You're Transparent-To-Chiroptera-Visage-Man!
INP: Scourge of the pipistrelle and the flying fox alike!
SS: Not to mention my spell-checker. How did you acquire this formidable power?
INP: No-one knows for sure. Some say a mystical shaman carved my features in another dimension to be immune to sonar. Others suggest I was bitten by a radioactive bat, which was also invisible for some reason. Still more have blamed gamma radiation, but then don't they always?
SS: And now you use your powers to combat crime?
INP: Such is my destiny. Not a single winged mammal in this city dares cross the line into illegality. No long-ears mugging old ladies. No vampire bats breaking into your house and swiping your stereo.
SS: It's not massively impressive, though, is it? You can't exactly fight any useful crime, can you?
INP: Why would I want to? Surely useful crime is a good thing, isn't it? Or does the end not justify the means?
SS: Gasp! Such philosophical complexity! Have we become morally grey?
INP: I am now Frank Miller!
SS: Not without three hundred suspiciously well-oiled soldiers, you're not.
INP: Fine. WOOOOOOH! I AM ALAN MOORE! I WAS GOOD THEN I PISSED IT ALL AWAY! WOOOOOOOH!
SS: Why is Alan Moore a ghost?
INP: Er, karma?
SS: Fine. Wait, what's that noise? It is the distinctive sound of a horseshoe bat attempting to hot-wire a car!
INP: To action!

Our hero exits, determined to defeat the furry miscreant by the simple expedient of it not being able to see his face.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent, although I'm not sure Alan Moore deserves the kicking :-)

300 was by Frank Miller by the way...

SpaceSquid said...

Whoops! Fixed now.